by Alison Lueders
It’s January, and I hope you are managing to stick to your resolutions. Mine were to get a cover for my Kindle Fire (check!), start using reusable cups at Starbucks (check!), and investigate composting (not yet). But I digress.
January is also a time for planning the year ahead. Last month, I spent time assessing what worked and what didn’t for my writing and editing business. I want to do better this year for my clients. As part of that, I’m researching conferences that are the best bets for web editors. Web editing covers a huge gamut – business writing, science writing, journalism, fiction, and much more. But I’m curious where the web editors in this group choose to go, and what their experiences have been.
This year, I’m amping up my focus on the craft of web editing. And I’d like to make more connections with fellow writers and editors. Partly because I see them as potential partners, more than competitors. And partly because I feel quite at home with the writers and editors I know. Who wouldn’t want to spend more time with people they like?
So – back to conferences. What’s your feedback on any or all of these:
- Nielsen Norman Group will hold their Usability Week starting March 17, 2013 in New York City. Thursday and Friday of that conference include sessions on “Writing for the Web: Day 1” and “Writing for the Web: Day 2“.
- The American Copy Editors Society (ACES) conducts their annual conference from April 4 – 6, 2013 in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Content Marketing World will host its annual conference from September 9 – 12, 2013 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- The Blog World and New Media Expo ran earlier this month in Las Vegas, Nevada. Did anyone from the Web Editors group attend?
- Social Media Strategies Summit runs June 12-13, 2013 in New York City.
There are MANY more conferences that belong on this list. Please share them. It’s quite possible that the “mothership-conference-for-web-editors” is not listed here, and it should be.
And who knows – based on the ideas compiled here, we may even meet at one or more of these conferences in 2013. Wouldn’t THAT be fun?
I hope we are all off to a great start in 2013. I can’t wait to see your comments!